Addison started taking piano lessons in October. Even though she was still working on the basics, her teacher Karen, wanted her to be a part of the Christmas recital.
| Addison and Miss Karen |
The recital was a big day for Addison. It turned into a big day for me, too...I certainly grew as a parent. Addison had practiced and prepared. She was nervous and excited for her big day. I was nervous and excited for her. I REALLY wanted her first recital to be a positive experience for her.
| Addison and Papa Skip |
Addison had quite the audience. Her Papa came down from Kansas City to see her play. Our good friends came as well. She was happy to have such great support.
| Performing her songs...video to come. |
She was the opening performer for the recital. She walked up and performed her first several songs. She played them well...my heart was in my chest. Her last song was one she didn't know quite as well. She started in just fine with her right hand, when the music sent her to her left hand, though, it wasn't placed correctly, so the notes were wrong. Enter the longest 2 minutes of my life. She stared at her hands and her music trying figure out where she went wrong. I squirmed in my seat...I wanted to rescue her!! I'm sure it wasn't that long or a huge deal to everyone else in the audience. But, I so wanted to rush up on stage and shift her hand so she could finish her song. I prayed and prayed that she wouldn't freak out and run off stage. Thankfully, I stayed in my seat and she figured out where her hand needed to be. She finished her song, turned with a shy grin and sat down with us.
| Addison's sweet friends came to support her! |
Addison was probably on stage for a total of 5 minutes, but we both learned some good lessons in that 5 minutes. She learned to keep going and not to worry if she makes a mistake. I learned that mistakes and discomfort aren't things to rescue my children from. They are opportunities for growth and character development.
![]() |
| The proud pianist! |
So this was a first, of what will likely be many recitals.
Many opportunities to learn these lessons again and again!

No comments:
Post a Comment