Friday, January 28, 2011

You'd Think I'd Learn By Now

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life...
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"

Matthew 6:25-27

I wish my first response to life's curveballs would be to trust in His provision. Why does my heart immediately turn to worry...to trying to "fix" it on my own? We've been thrown a couple of curveballs this week...nothing life-changing or tragic...just bumps in the road. A car repair and a couple of medical bills came within a day of each other. The money is there...we have an emergency savings, but for some reason my heart began to worry.

I like security...I like safety nets. I'm the girl that likes to have an emergency savings and not ever have to use it. Silly, I know, that's why it's there!

So, after a couple of hours of worrying...milling through things in my head..."we can pull this from here and put that in there...but if anything else comes up, then we'll have to pull this from here and cut that from there"...seriously, that's where my mind was...after doing that all afternoon, I finally sat down to pray. And even in my prayers, the worrying continued..."Okay, God, so if this happens, then we can put this here, and pull that from there"...I'm not kidding, I was strategizing with God, letting Him know where He can get the money to fix this whole thing. It was ridiculous.

Finally, God just stopped me and prompted me to be done...just stop thinking about it. So, to get my mind to quit, I clicked on Pandora and listened to the "Hillsong" station. That is what I needed...I needed to worship. I needed to be reminded of who HE is. He is on the throne...He is in control...He is faithful. Song after song spoke to my heart and calmed me.

"See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown in the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?"

Matthew 6:28-30

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this, Karie. It's exactly what I needed to hear today. I've been more anxious about things I can't control lately and it needs to stop....thanks for the reminder. Miss ya!

Meli n Pat said...

I do the same thing. Lately I've been sharing how I'd like Him to sell our house and provide such-and-such a place and how my timing would be really great. Then I remember...

Unknown said...

I love you, Friend!