Monday, October 8, 2012

What's Going On...

I have a bunch of fun photos and activities to share from September, but first I need to recap and reflect on the big changes that have gone on around here in the last month and a half.  There is much to say, but I am going to sum it all up in list form.

-In mid-August, Addison started Kindergarten.  She loves it and is thriving.  It is so fun to hear her practice her letter sounds and see her writing (phonetically).   Her teacher's personality is a great fit for Addison.  She is funny and easy-going, which is good for my sometimes too-serious daughter.

-In mid-August, I accepted a part-time librarian position in an elementary school.  It was a last minute decision that I agonized over.  I wavered back and forth for days.  It was a hard decision for lots of reasons that I won't go into here.  I am very thankful for supportive friends and family, especially my dear husband.  He left the decision completely up to me and was so patient with my tearful wavering.   A month and a half later, I love my job.   I work Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  It is a great combination of what I love about teaching without a bunch of the stuff that I hated about teaching.

-In mid-August, I also started my Master's degree to become a school librarian.  Yes, you read that correctly, I started my degree to do my job at the same time as starting my job.  My district allows this as long as I stay on my "plan of study."  I am taking one class this fall.  The degree is 36 credit hours, and I hope to complete it in 3 years.

-We started attending our new church in September.  It is a church being planted by our former church. It has been great.  It is small.  The pastor, Dave, is a very gifted teacher and leader.  Kyle and I are both attending small groups in the morning.  He is helping lead his group.  I am helping with Awanas, the children's ministry on Sunday nights.   It has turned into a great one-on-one time with Addison.  The church is about 25 minutes from our house.  So, she and I get some good talk time on the way to and from Awanas.

-All of this transition and change has been toughest on Jake.  Though it's getting better, he has had a hard time adjusting.  His babysitter is wonderful.  I know he is being well-loved and cared for.  He loves playing with his friends and often has stories to tell at dinner-time.  I am thankful to have Mondays and Fridays home with Jake.  Every other Monday, Kyle is also home.  So, Jake is treated with the sole attention of BOTH parents.

To sum up, this new chapter in our lives is full.  I am continuing to learn how to prioritize my time and how to let some things go.  I wouldn't recommend eating off our floors and I might have a little more jiggle around my middle from a lack of working out, but we are blessed.

No comments: