Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Last Summer Weekend

I go back to school on Thursday, so I've officially started my "lasts". This was the last weekend of summer...so I wanted to do it up right. We went to the farmer's market on Saturday morning, played outside in the kiddie pool this afternoon, and grilled pork chops tonight. Nothing special, just very summery.

I have mixed feelings about starting school. There are things I love about it...the kids are always so excited...new school supplies...seeing my teacher friends...setting up my classroom (my desk is the cleanest it will be all year). There are other parts that aren't so great...there is ALWAYS something to do, I won't be finished with my job until the end of May 2009...there is a TON of work involved in getting a classroom up and running...I don't get to be with Addison all day everyday. That's really the kicker. I have loved, loved, loved being at home with my little girl this summer. Not that we weren't bonded before, but this summer has really grown our relationship. As she grows and becomes her own little person, I just feel more connected to her. I don't know how to put it into words...we're tight. (I'm sounding more like a 5th grader already...it happens during the school year :)

Here are some pictures from our "Last Summer Weekend"


Dancing around at the farmer's market. It was already hot and sticky at 9:30 in the morning.

Speaking of sticky...we all shared a yummy, sticky cinnamon roll that was the size of Addison's head. I should've taken a picture of it before we devoured it.
No, we didn't go to the museum, the market is set up in front of the museum and my shot happened to line up :)Our farmer's market treasures: sweet corn, blackberries, locally made salsa, spinach garlic fettuccine, mushroom tortellini.


I recently found blueberries on sale and bought a bunch to freeze (my mom lucked out and moved just down the street from a blueberry picking place...if you want to be really jealous, read about it here). I found those lovely blackberries at the market and decided I needed to send out the summer with a peach and berry crisp (I prefer a crisp over a cobbler, but that's another post). Look at that beautiful fruit!
Here's the crisp and *oh my* it was fabulous. I found the recipe here. Warm...with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...so yummy!


Here are the playing in the kiddie pool pictures. I couldn't get many good shots. You know, that whole, photographing a toddler thing. Feel free to start a collection so I can buy a digital SLR camera...they're only like $800.
Hope you had a great summer weekend too! Only 3 more days of freedom for me...tomorrow is my last Monday of summer...*sigh*.

No comments: